After our month rusticating in the San Blas, we looked forward to the resort island of San Andres, described as Colombia’s Hawaii. While the island is 470 miles northwest of the coast of Colombia and only 140 miles east of Nicaragua, the island has been recognized as part of Colombia since as early as 1900 and withstood efforts by Teddy Roosevelt to have it become part of Panama, when that country announced its independence from Colombia. Disputes over the island’s nationality persisted with Nicaragua until 2007, when the International Court of Justice recognized the full sovereignty of Colombia over the islands of San Andrés, Providencia and Santa Catalina.
The red star that marks San Andres above illustrates the islands strategic importance to cruisers moving north and south in the Western Caribbean.
This albatross-eye view of San Andres shows the island’s extensive reef system as well as the high rise hotels fronting white sand beaches. The island is 7.8 miles long and 1.9 miles wide.
Our favorite lady at anchor. The San Andres skyline is visible in the picture in the lower right hand corner.
Nene’s Marina, a two minute dinghy ride from Elizabeth Jean’s anchorage, provided water, fuel and a convenient dinghy dock for Schooner.
Schooner loaded with 5 gallon tanks of water.
Tourist oriented amenities fill the waterfront near our anchorage.
We bought a two week membership at Club Nautico, a marina catering to the sport fishing fleet. We enjoyed the club’s pool, restaurant, cold water showers and the Seahawks last minute win against Minnesota.
Decorations on the path leading to a restaurant near Club Nautico.
Eric on his way down to visit King Neptune at an underwater park. On the bottom divers with helmets and air hoses look up to see if Eric will make it (he did, but just barely). Photo credit: Rod Merritt.