Providencia, the second Colombia territory on our path north through the western Carribean, has provided refuge for sailors for centuries. The notorious pirate/privateer Henry Morgan used the island as a base for raiding Spanish settlements and way laying Spanish vessels. Lying 55 miles north of its sister island San Andres, the island was the site of an English Puritan colony established in 1629. These English roots provide a cultural heritage distinct from San Andres more Hispanic orientation. Our 6 week stay in Providencia had its appointed hour for leisurely walks, coco locos in Paradise, supplementing our crew with Elena Leonard, snorkeling in champagne clear water, mountain hikes, our first anchor watch, and a Rondon feast.
Providencia, as shown on the above chart, is a convenient stepping stone north after San Andres on our way north in the Caribbean Sea.
The albatross-eye view shows sail boats anchored between Providencia and Santa Catalina. A colorful bridge connects the two islands. Photo Credit Robert Britton.
The french pirate Luis Aury established a fort between 1818 and 1821.
Colorful mosaics, benches and walkways greet the visitor along the waterfront.
A walking bridge connects Providencia and Santa Catalina Islands.
Remains of the old fort.
The Virgin overlooks the anchorage.
The Virgin’s view of Elizabeth Jean.
Providencia provided the location for Elena Leonard, who had helped us in our first leg from Seattle to San Francisco, to rejoin us to help with night passages as we proceeded north towards Mexico.
Elizabeth Jean shared the anchorage with several other sail boats. The sandy bottom provided good holding for Rochna anchor. The water was so clear that Eric could stand on the bottom and measure the distance from the keel to the sand by snorkeling to the bottom and standing next to the keel. Several cold fronts hemmed us in the anchorage for several weeks. One night the winds blew to just under gale force and we took turns standing watch over the anchor as the Colombian Coast Guard Vessel’s flashing red lights lit the harbor is at circulated to make sure all was well.